I missed week 6 of Creative Writing. During week 7 and 8 we didn't do any writing exercise. Instead, we watched and discussed a couple of TED talks. One by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie titled The danger of a single story and the other one by Elif Shafak titled The politics of fiction. I strongly encourage you to watch them whether you're interesting in writing or not.
On week 9 we talked about memory and we were told to write a little something describing or inspired by a memory. I wrote about the day I was bitten by the bullet ant. It's mostly a bunch of scattered ideas, with so little time it's hard to compose something coherent and unified. I had already written a entry on this blog about that experience back in April 2012:
Ants
Back in the day, when climate change wasn’t a thing, there
used to be many different species of ants in my hometown. Two different species
lived at home. One of the them were black and tiny, no more than a few millimetres
in length, and they were completely harmless. The other ones were called,
candelillas, little flames. They were a dark shade of orange and had a painful burning
bite. It was forbidden to eat in bed, because just a single crystal of sugar
could attract the candelillas and they could attack you in the middle of the
night. These ants were part of home and you could always find a long procession
carrying crumbs of bread or bits of dead insects anywhere in the house during
the quite hours of the afternoon. In the park, near the Sinú river, I remember seeing
often two other species of ants. The leaf cutter-ants, which are like beefed up
candellias, and a solitary type of slightly larger black ants that liked
climbing on trees.
Nothing could have prepared me for the day that I met the
bullet ant for the first time: the Godzilla of all ants. I remember it to be
larger than my big toe, but I was about 10 years old. I was in the middle of
the tropical rainforest with my dad, squatting on a rock and bathing in the
fresh morning sun breaking through the dense canopy. When I saw the ant, or
better when I felt the ant, it was already too late. It had grabbed my foot
with its powerful claws and its stinger was deep inside my flesh.
I don’t remember the pain, but there is a reason why they
are called the bullet ants. I remember being on my dad’s shoulders, I was
unable to walk and developed a strong fever. I remember pineapple plants along
the path to the tribe of the Emberá people. I remember the shaman asking me to
drink some kind of medicinal potion. And then, my memories ended abruptly.
No comments:
Post a Comment