Jun 23, 2013

A Madman's Diary by Lu Xun

This is the second book in my quest to read the best 100 books of all times. It is a short story published in 1918 by Lu Xun (1881-1936) and as in the previous book, I had not heard of the author before... and it surprises me to realize the extent of bias towards Western culture of my high school education, since in six years of literature classes at school back in MonterĂ­a, I do not remember to have ever dealt with an author that was not Hispanic, American or European. The interesting thing about Lu Xun is that he was an innovator breaking from the traditional Chinese ways... and he must have been really brave to pull this off, in my opinion.

I must say that A Madman's Diary is hilarious! It is so uncommon to find a book that could actually make you burst into laughter. I could count a couple... I think it is really hard to be humorous in the written form; I mean, to the point of making you laugh out loud. All in all I rate this story very high, just for its entertaining value and without regard for its historical or literary context.

I do not want to give you any spoilers but the story is about this young man who thinks the entire world is full of cannibals, even his older brother is conspiring against him. Unfortunately for him, he IS their next meal!

Save the children...
Lu Xun

No comments:

Post a Comment