Apr 3, 2012

A Song of Ice and Fire – Game of Thrones Review

I'm addicted, I have to confess. First I saw the TV series, and I loved it. This saga, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, perhaps even surpasses Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings. After I watched the first season of the series a couple of times I read the first book, Game of Thrones. Once that was finished I immediately started devouring the second book, A Clash of Kings. At this very moment I'm half way the fourth book, A Feast for Crows. The second season of the show have also started and the first episode just aired the 1st of April: amazing. I'm very excited about it.

It's been a long time since I read something so exciting and engaging as A Song of Ice and Fire. The complexity of the story, a great number of very interesting, rich, and well developed characters, the narration of the story is also outstandingly awesome. I truly recommend it to everyone. Both the TV series and the books. The series has been very loyal to the book and because of the success of the first season, the budget for the second season was ramped up, so that they were able to film in extraordinary locations, like Iceland and Croatia. They are both truly masterpieces. However, the second season has diverged a bit more from the book although not enough to make it a dissapointment. Truly epic nonetheless!

My two favorite characters are Arya Stark, a tough little girl, and Tyrion Lannister, the Imp, probably the smartest dwarf in literature. In the series, Tyrion Lannister is played by Peter Dinklage who just won an Emmy and Golden Globe award as best supporting actor. As the books and the character develops things will start to change, the Imp who once seemed a hero succumbs to his evil side, and Kingslayer who we've hated begins to redeem himself and see the light! Great surprises await!

 Arya Stark

 Tyrion Lannister

Then there is Deanerys Targaryen, mother of dragons, Khalessi of the Dothraki.

 
Deanerys Targaryen

If you like fantasy and you haven't heard of this, then you should not hesitate and get the books or start watching the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment