Sep 7, 2010

Waltz with Bashir by Ari Folman review, a must-see movie!

Waltz with Bashir Chopin Waltz 64 no 2A few weeks ago I made a post about the best movie of all times according to Empire online magazine: Seven Samurai, click here if you didn’t read it yet. At the time while I was browsing the list of the best 100 movies, I saw one called Waltz with Bashir written and directed by Ari Folman (2008), placing as the number 34 best movie ever. What called my attention was that the movie is an animated Israeli movie; I was very curious since I’ve never heard of any animated movies from Israel, so I downloaded it (shhh… don’t tell anyone), watched it, and wow, what a great movie, such a good surprise!

The movie is classified as an animated documentary, and it’s about Ari Folman himself searching for his memories when he was in the Lebanon war in 1982 and the Sabra and Shatila massacre; both historical events of which I’ve never heard before in my life; regarding the conflict between Israeli and Palestinian people. His experience was so traumatizing that many of his memories suddenly vanished from his brain. The movie is of course a masterpiece, from the very first image you are hooked; a bunch of angry, almost demonic dogs running around the streets. The animation style is outstanding, the colors so beautiful, and it has certain three dimensional sensation that is pretty cool too… and the soundtrack fits the animation perfectly.

One of the most spectacular scenes that’s so thrilling I almost cry of excitement, is when one soldier in desperation takes his gun and start shooting everywhere like crazy in the middle of an ambush right in the city… bullets are flying in every direction and the man starts dancing madly at the rhythm of Chopin’s Waltz in C-sharp minor, Op. 64, No. 2.

waltz of madnessWaltz of madness

The ending is also shocking and morbid, but I won’t spoil you the movie anymore. So you better watch it now! Definitively the 34th best movie of all times… maybe the 34th best animated movie of all times would be more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment