Aug 16, 2010

Seven Samurai (1954) by Akira Kurosawa

I was checking out a list of “the top 100 best films of world cinema” featured at Empire Online Magazine; and the number one movie was Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa, from 1954. I don’t usually like old movies, I mean black and white movies… and with some exceptions anything below 1985 seems to me kind of dull to watch. However, I decided to leave my stupid prejudices behind and watch it, perhaps it could blow my mind; come on! It could be the best movie ever! (I thought to convince myself).

Alright, so I watched it… and I liked it, I liked it a lot! I wouldn’t say the best movie ever made, but definitively interesting and entertaining. It lagged a little bit here and there, but it was pretty awesome nonetheless. The absolutely best character without a doubt is Kikushiyo (Toshirō Mifune); he’s totally crazy! As you can see in the poster, the guy with the funny mustache wielding a sword… he’s with a chest protector and just underwear during most of the battles!

For your information, the Japanese traditional underwear is called Fudoshi (see Figure 2), and it’s similar to a thong in that it exposes all of your butt-cheeks. So you see Kikushiyo running around killing bandits with his butt in plain air! It’s hilarious.

Figure 2. Top panel a Fudoshi, notice resemblance with modern
thong. The arrow points at Kikushiyo's Fudoshi.

The next movie I will see is Metropolis, the 1927 science fiction classic by Fritz Lang which is number 12 in the same list. Have you seen it?

1 comment:

  1. Ajá Tani. Chévere el ejercicio de ver ese top 100 de películas, siempre descubre uno vainas buenas.

    Yo estoy haciendo algo parecido, pero con música, los 1001 albumes que uno no puede dejar de oir. Desde Frank Sinatra para acá, he descubierto montones de música buena, jazz, blues y otra cantidad de cosas.

    ReplyDelete